- Board Of Trustees’ Meeting: June 1
- Rutland Chapter Meeting: June 2
- Barre Chapter Meeting: June 8
- Council Meeting: June 11
VSEA members recently rallied together with Vermont teachers and state troopers to convince lawmakers to abandon an ill-advised House proposal to form a “pension task force” with nine non-labor representatives and six labor representatives. Instead, lawmakers agreed to a Senate proposal that allotted six seats to non-labor representatives and six seats to labor representatives.
Beginning today, VSEA President Aimee Towne is casting a net to find VSEA members who are interested in filling one of VSEA’s two seats on the soon-to-be-created pension task force. The teachers have three seats, and the state troopers have one.
The deadline to submit your name is June 4, 2021.
VSEA is aware that the Freedom Foundation–a well-funded, corporate, anti-union group from outside Vermont–is once again sending emails and letters to VSEA members to promote the group’s anti-union, anti-worker agenda. Each time this group tries to peddle its propaganda here in Vermont, VSEA reminds members that there are so many good reasons for VSEA members to ignore this group’s email and letter.
Here are some resources for members to revisit:
- Real Talk About Changes To Your Union
- What Is Right To Work?
- What You Should Know About The Anti-Worker Janus v. AFSCME U.S. Supreme Court Ruling
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Anti-Worker Janus Case
- Freedom Foundation Facts Website
- AFSCME Video: Freedom. On The Record
A Seat At The Table!
One Of The Best Ways To Get Involved In Your Union Is To Run For Election To The VSEA Board!
Board Of Trustee Nominations Now Being Accepted
Board of Trustees Positions Up For Election:
- Judiciary Unit Trustee;
- Non-Management Unit Trustee;
- District 3 Trustee (Newport / Island Pond, Lamoille, Northeast Kingdom, St. Johnsbury); and
- District 6 Trustee (Brattleboro, Springfield, White River Junction).
Petitions are due back to VSEA HQ by 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 1