Committee Chair: Vacant Seat – Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
VSEA Staff Liaison: Kelly Everhart, email@example.com
- Vote to adopt the Purpose, Vision, and Mission statements of the VSEA Diversity Committee as:
- An endorsement of earnest work by the committee to represent the union in efforts to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive union;
- A declaration of values that the union holds itself accountable to, and;
- Solidarity with underrepresented and/or marginalized members and the communities that they are a part of both inside and outside of work.
- Circulate the Purpose, Vision, and Mission statements of the VSEA Diversity Committee to the union membership via:
- The VSEA website
- The Week in Action
- Social Media
Why does this group exist?
- To promote the diversity of VSEA through awareness and education.
- To raise up the voices of members who are underrepresented and/or marginalized within VSEA and to help facilitate a more inclusive work environment for all.
What does the future look like if the group is successful?
- VSEA leadership recognizes the importance of a diverse, inclusive, and equitable union and responds proactively when the right to due process also harms members.
- All VSEA members feel comfortable challenging problematic behaviors and expressing concerns when they arise.
- Resources are provided that promote equitable access and opportunity for all VSEA members to achieve a just and prosperous union.
- Policies are created that promote, support, and retain diversity and inclusion in VSEA leadership and the SoV workforce.
How are we going to make the group’s vision a reality?
- Invite/retain Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion speakers for regular presentations.
- Build empathy by sharing stories of VSEA members and the social justice issues that personally affect them.
- Show the historical and modern relationship between unions, the labor movement, and social justice movements.
Members Serving On Committee:
- Beth Aiken
- D Bouchard
- Jenny Beth Cook
- Wendy Critchlow
- Kheya Ganguly
- Veronica Golden
- Marcie Hawkins
- Naomi Henderson
- Jackie Hickerson
- Rachel Kennedy
- Helen Linda
- Michael Madill
- Marcus Marena
- Verma Martin
- Caroline Massa
- Erin McKenney
- Maureen Mucha
- Brianna Nalley
- J. Deborah Ormsbee
- Siobhan Perricone
- Cheryl Reed
- Janice Santiago
- Bobbi Shutts
The committee will meet in accordance with the schedule established by the President.
- Assist VSEA members with understanding the benefits of, and promoting the goal of, a diverse workforce.
- Ensure VSEA is advocating and promoting management policies/procedures that promote diversity.
- Ensure that VSEA is offering sexual harassment and diversity training to its activists and members.
- Inform VSEA Board of, and encourage the union to sponsor and participate in diversity programs and events, including the statewide committee.
Questions About This Page?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.